What can we do with philosophy at such a terrible time? I can't imagine that anyone wants to hear about it now. We've got real strife on our hands. Here are some tips for how to get your students to improve:
- Be nice. No one likes a know it all,
- If they say bad things, politely explain why this is incorrect.
- If you have trouble facing them and facing another long day of teaching, take a break. No one will mind a day off and then when you come back you will be able to make a difference.
- Activism is something we all need to be a part of.
- Philosophy - and this is a big one - is not some lofty, disconnected thing from the real world with all its messiness. And guess what, that's actually a good thing! Why would we care about it if it didn't have these connexions, however hard they may be to trace, to our lives and the way the world is going these days. Chin up and realize the importance of what we all do!
I'm sure I've forgotten some doozies. Let me know in the comments!